Back to top

How do I register for a research elective?  

First make sure you know which elective you'll need. If you're a BS student, you'll need a minimum of 1 quarter (and a maximum of 3 quarters) of the NSCI 29100* series. For BA students, you'll need 1 quarter of NSCI 29700.

To register, obtain a "Reading & Research form" (R&R) from a student advisor and fill it out with thesis course 29100/29700. Be sure to include a description of the research you'll be doing and have a faculty mentor (P.I.) sign off on the R&R form. Submit the form to the Grossman Institute reception desk and NSCI administration will review and approve. If approved, you can pick up the completed form from the Institute and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.  

*NSCI 2910X must have a new form filled out and approved for every quarter of research a student enrolls in. 

I am a BS student but want to take NSCI 29700 research elective. Can I register? 

Nope. Only BA students are able to register for NSCI 29700. BS students must register for NSCI 29100 series. 

How do i find a research lab?

Great question! You'll definitely need to figure out whose lab you'll want to do research in before registering for any research electives or applying for any internships or fellowships - check out this helpful guide for more details.

I’m thinking of making a career change into Neuroscience, who can I talk to? 

You can email or come to the quarterly advising meetings. You can also set up one-on-one time with a senior advisor by scheduling time with them through this advising calendar.

Can I get paid for tech work while in a lab when I am enrolled in a research elective? 

There is a strict rule that you can either receive credit for research or get paid for research. Not both. If you're being paid for work in the same lab that you're doing thesis work, you must suspend the paid position while you're enrolled in Neuroscience Thesis Research. 

Would there be any way for me to substitute Statistical Methods and Applications (STAT 22000) for other statistics classes that I have taken? 

You will have to petition for a substitution, which will include written justification and a copy of the syllabus of the petitioned course. This is all on a case-by-case basis, so please speak with your advisor or email for situation-specific questions. 

I’m considering majoring in Neuroscience. I want to take a class to get a feel for the major. Are there any courses that you would recommend I start with? 

The best way for you to get an introduction to Neuroscience would be to take the Foundations of Neuroscience Course that will be starting in the Fall quarter of 2020. This will give you a good overview of the field and should you choose to become a neuroscience major, will also become the first of your required courses.

I'm hoping to major in Biology and minor in Neuroscience. What are the restrictions on double-counting classes? 

Since this is for a BIOS major and NSCI minor, we can’t double count any courses. Overall, no course in the minor can count toward the major(s) or other minors, nor can it count toward general education requirements. 

How do i get to the institute?

This is an easy one - We're located at 5812 South Ellis avenue. Just head up to the 4th floor, turn left out of the elevators, and look for Suite P-400. If you have any trouble, just give us a call @ 773.702.9802.